Monday, September 23, 2013

All Aboard the Loss-of-Meaning Train



             I read the Stanley Fish essay referred to in James Sosnoski's "Hyper-Readers and their Reading Engines," and I'm still trying to figure out how it was meant to support Sosnoski's claim about filtering. Sosnoski states, “As inheritors of the work of Fish and other reading theorists, most teachers now readily admit that reading is a highly selective process, one in which the majority of details are forgotten, leaving the reader to be content with plot summaries, thumbnail characterizations, representative scenes, and themes, most of them memorable because they can be assimilated into what Frank Smith taught us to call “cognitive structures”” (Sosnoski 165). The most memorable aspects mentioned here falling into cognitive structures resonates with what Fish says (“students did not proceed from the noting of distinguishing features to the recognition that they were confronted by a poem; rather, it was the act of recognition that came first--they knew in advance that they were dealing with a poem-- and the distinguishing features then followed.”), but Sosnoski gives those words to Smith. The more I think about this, the more convoluted it all becomes and the more I demand a hypertext for sorting this mess out. This essay on hypertext would in fact make for a decent hypertext setting, but then Sosnoski would lose parts of his message, become de-authorizied. And yet I can’t help but think he’s already being de-authorized by citing Fish and Smith. Eva-Maria Jakobs might agree with this notion as she draws parallels between footnotes/references and hypertext (Jakobs 357). I’m straying from the point which is that Fish has more to say about cognitive structures than he does about filtering, and if Sosnoski would go ahead and hypertextualize this essay already, I could follow Frank Smith’s link and better see what the hell is being proposed.

My issue with filtering as it is presented here is that if inherent in reading is this notion that what is read necessarily disintegrates into oblivion, what will happen when even less is read? It seems skimming, pecking, fragmenting all pertain to less being read about a particular subject. I suppose it’s not that the cumulative content being read is lessened, but rather that each piece receives less focus. It allows for extension rather than depth which makes for a vaster overview of a topic. At the same time, though, each piece will undergo this “highly selective process” which will cause most to be forgotten. Don’t the elements matter? Doesn’t it allow for a greater understanding of the whole when one intimately knows the pieces that constitute it?

I’m noticeably expressing my anxiety over hypertext, and it’s a serious anxiety. I’d like to incorporate a link to the chaos that ensues inside my head at the moment, but it seems technology’s reach is not yet capable of the feat. And at the same time, everything I write is a link, a sort of hypertext that allows readers into the recesses of my chaotic mind. I can’t help but wonder if the reading this week was meant to be a manifestation of the idea that “information devours its content (Sosnoski 164), because I’m feeling an information overload in which the content is devoured, and I’m left writing a post bereft of any meaning.

Maybe the loss-of-meaning train will inevitably be boarded (more and more information, and less and less meaning (Sosnoski 164)). Maybe I’m boarding right now.

 


3 comments:

  1. Aaron, I agree that with skimming, pecking, fragmenting, etc. comes less focus on each particular work that is read. Is it better to know a little bit about a lot of things, or to be well versed in only a few subjects? It kind of seems like you can't have both, and that is a worrisome thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassidy makes a good point. What has more value: extent or depth? I suppose it isn't such a black-and-white question, because it depends on why the person possessing the knowledge values it. Maybe some people prefer being an expert in only a few subjects because it feels less "superficial", and/or they just need that in-depth knowledge to excel at what they do. Maybe some people feel compelled to know a little about many topics because they are truly interested in a wide variety of subjects, and/or they want to impress others with "how much" they know.

    Actually, this train of thought leads me back to a discussion we had in class last week about logos, pathos, and ethos. During that discussion, we defined "ethos" in a variety of ways, such as credibility, authority, character, goodwill, and expertise. Basically, ethos has to do with appearance--the APPEARANCE of common ground or shared knowledge and values. So as a society that values knowledge, we place a certain trust in people who appear "knowledgeable." Do you think that, with an "uninformed" audience, a rhetorician would have more success with knowing a lot about a little, or knowing a little about a lot? What might impact ethos the most? And depending on how we answer that question, wouldn't we want to match our reading patterns to that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t agree with your statement about less is being read because of skimming, pecking and fragmenting. In the scope of focus I believe that readers focus on what pertains to them or at least I believe this about myself. Currently when I read information I feel as if I focus and retain the information that relates to law or the functions of being a lawyer. It’s not that I am not reading all the information but because law school is my most upcoming task it seems to be on my mind a lot and therefore a topic in what I interpret from my readings. I combat my tendency to only retain law information by underlining, highlighting and annotating in the margins of each article.

    ReplyDelete